President of the Institution – Dr. H R Nagendra
FROM NASA TO VYASA
- Dr. H R Nagendra holds PhD in Mechanical Engineering from IISc, Bangalore and is the president of VYASA.
- After receiving his doctorate in 1968, he served as faculty of IISc in Department of Mechanical Engineering. He then served as Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in the University of British Columbia, Canada in 1969.
- From there, he moved to NASA Marshall Space Flight Centre, USA as Post-Doctoral Research Associate in 1970, moved to Engineering Science Laboratory, Harvard University, USA as a Consultant in 1972 and Visiting Staff at Imperial College of Science and Technology, London later.
- In 1975, he joined Vivekananda Kendra, a service mission as a whole-time worker. Honorary Director of Training Centre, Vivekanandapuram, Kanyakumari.
- Between 1975 and 1993, he served as the All India Secretary, Yoga Shiksha Vibhag, Vivekanand Kendra, Kanyakumari and between 1979-1986 also as Secretary, Vivekananda Kendra Yoga Therapy & Research Committee (VK YOGAS). Between 1993 and 2000, he was the All India Vice-President of Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari.
- From 1986 to 2000, he was the Secretary of Vivekananda Kendra Yoga Research Foundation, Bangalore and the Director of Indian Yoga Institute, Prashanti Kutiram.
- From 2000 to the present, he has been serving as President, Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana, Bangalore and from 2002 to 2013, he served as the Vice Chancellor of Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana, Yoga University in Bangalore. He is now the Chancellor of S-VYASA Deemed University.
- He has published 30 Research Papers in Engineering; authored and collected 110 papers on Yoga and co-authored 35 books on Yoga.
- He has guided nearly 20 PhD students.